Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi,

I could really use some help if possible.

I have created a grid and am interested in manipulating the z-coordinates of a select few of the points from the grid with a view to then creating an undulating surface. 

Is this possible without baking the grid?

Any help is much appreciated.

Views: 7978

Replies to This Discussion

Absolutely Perfect!

Thanks so much for the help!

One more quick question if that alright, where the surface of the points is moved vertically in the z-axis, it leaves a 'ripple' in the surface that actually moves below '0' in the z-axis before curving up to its apex. Is there a way of preventing this negative 'dip' occurring?

Thank you for the definition Michael.

This data matching is definitively killing me, and might be one of the reasons why I will never be able to master Grasshopper.

Can I ask you a question? Why is it necessary that number of replacing indexes is equal to the number of replacing items?

Why can't we apply the "Longest list" data matching type to a "Replace" component? Here is an example:

I edited the list of "items to replace with", in a way that I just duplicated the last item. So now, the "items to replace with" has 9 branches with one list on each of them (or precisely just 9 items in a single list when the Flatten is applied). On the other hand "indexes" has a list with only 8 items in it (after the Flatten is applied).

So why couldn't we apply the "Longest list" matching algorithm to a "Replace" component:

?

this is not a case for longest list. The closest point knows its outputting one point per. So "i" can only match one item.

"Andy" quote:

where the surface of the points is moved vertically in the z-axis, it leaves a 'ripple' in the surface that actually moves below '0' in the z-axis before curving up to its apex. Is there a way of preventing this negative 'dip' occurring?

Andy, if this is what you are talking about:

Then use the "boolean toggle" from Michael's definition to regulate weather the surface peak goes up to the elevated point, or not.

Yea. Turn off interpolation.

"Michael Pryor" quote:

this is not a case for longest list. The closest point knows its outputting one point per. So "i" can only match one item.

I did not understand you.

Forget about the previous part of the definition. I deliberately duplicated the last item from "items to replace with" list, so that I would have more items in it than items in "index" list.
So the question now is not related to this definition and Andy's problem, but to "Replace" component's data matching only, (again isolated from previous part of the definition).

my point is, "i" outputted from closest point. it sees there is one point per "i". so it assigns it a number, Replace is following "i" expecting one item for each "i". Although sometimes I dont fully understand either, but I know how to do it.

Thank you.

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service