Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hello again,
Generally speaking, I think to create an "organic" pattern that isn't based on one kind of 3 or 4 corner points shape, or has more than 2 variations of shapes ( then cull pattern may help) is very complicated, or simply and probably I'm missing out on something here

The grid  is "non orthonormal" if I could call it like that, made by  4 axes each representing a parameter.
I've tried to set regions via evaluating each axe thus creating points that make curves by intersecting.
Using [Trim Regions] all curves with each other provide lists with all the section points and lines to create planar surfaces  
Then exploding the surfaces to get vertices to create the periodic planar curves I happily do so (but..)

For some reason the second "column" of the grid ( from left to right) doesn't generate planar srf therefore no curves..

I've created the whole grid manually (11.9mb grasshopper file) and I thought "hm, there's gotta be another way"

This is my second attempt to create this pattern, but it's getting way too complicated and "manually" again.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you

Views: 792

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not sure if I've fully understood the desired output of your definition, but if it is to achieve what I call curve network filleting, then the programming that algorithm isn't very easy as you've noticed.

I've programmed routines to do this and integrated them into Grasshopper, and the image above shows the complexity of the Grasshopper definition needed to calculate this if you call on my plug-in. (However a plug-in solution isn't always of satisfaction to some users). Actually your file is a very good test case for my routines, and I'm fixing the code at the minute to fill in those voids where there is a valid answer.

I've generated the voids as surfaces to highlight them, but there is a toggle to generate the perimeter curve. If this is what you're after and you wish to give the plug-in a try (trial is free), I'll post my definition here for you to look at. You can vary the offset and radius by sliders to vary the appearance of the generated cells.

Cheers,

Jon
Hi Jon,
The output of my definition is going to be the skin for an envelope of an urban unit I'm doing my thesis on. The skin will transform according to some data I've set and I need this curve network filleting as you call it to be algorithmically controlled and parametrized. For example the curve's surface might extrude, or the perimeter might offset etc..
I'd like to try your plug-in for sure. Otherwise it's all "baked"

Thank you!
Hi Chris,

quite a brave attemp!
an interesting approach!

my definition for random surface is based on 4 point cell so this is quite against your aim
but maybe it will help you
let me find it .....

..... ok i just posted the definition here with the picture
http://www.grasshopper3d.com/photo/2985220:Photo:49161?context=user

Riccardo

Hey Riccardo,
Thank you for posting your definition! Hope it helps somehow

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos