Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Cutting / Editing Vononoi Spheres - new to grasshopper

I am trying to create a bowl like object. I have created a Vononoi sphere and I want to cut it in half (or take off one third), I have baked my object back into rhino but every time I try to trim by object with a surface or a cut line nothing happens. Is there a way to do this?

On a separate note is there a way to smooth out the surface of vononoi mesh I have made? I can't seem to get rid of the points on my outter surface. 

Thanks 

Views: 942

Replies to This Discussion

Hi. If I were you, I wouldn't do that way. You can start with hemisphere at the first place.

Hi Elizabeth - although I haven't tried trimming a Voronoi based object in Rhino I have experienced the same problems you have with smoothing out a Voronoi based part. I have tried using the WeaverBird and Coccoon plugins (neither of which I truly understand), and what it seems like is that there are discontinuities with some of the underlying Voronoi curves that result in strange shapes in the final geometry.

Here is a pic of one of my parts the came out OK; it is a Vorono1 mapped onto a surface of revolution:

And here it is after applying Coccoon to the same Voronoi curves:

The arrows point out some anomalies that I can't seem to get rid of. I got similar (actually worse) results using WeaverBird - which surprised me because that one has worked well in the past.

What I have discovered is that the final result is very sensitive to the various parameters that not only make the Voronoi, but that also control the thickening and smoothing. It may be that there is a better way to do this - the image from Hyungsoo looks perfect, but it may be because he picked precisely the right set of parameters.

Finally, in my case I do all design work in GH and only use Rhino for exporting STL files for 3D printing. So you might want to try that for your trimming as well. I've found that Rhino can do some strange things to geometry baked from GH, at least when it exports in STL format.

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service