Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

hey david,

wondering if gh vb.net will continue to use the common sdk from 0.7 forward, and not the dot net sdk ?  

also, i heard a rumor that python would once again be incorporated into gh, is this true?

thanks

Views: 696

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't heard anything on the Python front. I guess it should be "easier" to integrate now that GH has switched over to RhinoCommon, but I'm not sure. The python stuff was (and is) actually Steve's thing, not David's, so I think in order for it to be supported again, it might need Steve to come back and get it working.

Yes, I assume that GH will still use RhinoCommon from here on out. AFAIK, there isn't anything that relies on the old .Net SDK within GH, with the exception of the Legacy scripting components. The main reason for that is to run RhinoCommon through its paces, and make sure that all the functionality available in the old .Net SDK is in RhinoCommon. Note that you can still use the old SDK by either using the Legacy scripting components or adding a reference to the old .Net dll in the new scripting components.
In addition to Damiens comments (all correct), here's some extra info.

RhinoCommon still doesn't do Pipe, Sweep1 and Sweep2, so those components also still rely on the old SDK. I'll convert them once the functionality becomes available and hopefully no-one will ever notice (except for sweep working better).

Rhino for Mac does not support the old DotNET SDK, so any part of Grasshopper that relies on it will not be able to run on the mac side of things. Eventually this will only apply to the old-skool VB and C# components, which will be phased out once all missing functionality has been added to RhinoCommon.

RhinoCommon will be the .NET SDK of choice for Rhino from now on. We have no plans to replace it with anything else, though we will keep on improving and extending it. At the moment it seems like RhinoCommon will serve all our needs for the time being.

Hopefully Python will once again run inside Grasshopper, and Steve has even made some sounds about adding some basic Grasshopper functionality to the Rhino SDK, so it becomes much easier for developers to ship a single plugin (rhp) that contains both Rhino Commands and Grasshopper components. But since the Rhino SDK cannot reference Grasshopper, this will necessarily remain a somewhat clunky interface, if indeed we ever manage to write something up.

--
David Rutten
david@mcneel.com
Poprad, Slovakia

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos